Are you contemplating buying a new cooler that is capable of keeping ice frozen for up to five days or longer? Well, it is highly likely that you are having difficulty choosing a brand and model. This is a common problem with these coolers because they are a broad range of brands and models to choose from.
In this article, we take a look at two competing cooler models from Grizzly and YETI – the Grizzly 40 Quart and the YETI Tundra 45. First off though, here is some more information about these two cooler brands.
How do the Grizzly and YETI brands compare?
Here a quick comparison of the two models:
Last update on 2021-10-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
If you are in the market for a new cooler, you have probably without a doubt come across the names Grizzly and YETI. Both manufacturers specialize in creating high-end coolers that are built for all outdoor situations. Sure, both brands are great and offer their own individual benefits, but which brand really is better?
How long have these brands been in business?
The first thing that you need to know is that Grizzly has been making coolers for almost over thirty years now. Over this time, they have developed a lot of experience and certainly discovered what the outdoor consumer is seeking in the ultimate cooler.
That being said, they are probably not the most popular brand out there. YETI, on the other hand, has only been in business for ten years, but they have without a doubt taken the cooler market by storm with their unique and innovative designs.
Where are they made?
Grizzly coolers are manufactured in the USA and the brand makes big claims about this on their coolers. YETI has two plants in the USA that make Tundra coolers but some are also made in the Philipines.
What are the warranties like?
When you invest your hard-earned money into a product, you want to make sure that it is going to be backed with a guarantee. These guarantees not only tell you that you are getting quality, but they ensure that your purchase will be justified.
Well, one of the most notable things about the Grizzly Company is that they offer a lifetime warranty with all of their products. This warranty usually covers manufacturer’s defects, seal, and gasket issues. While the YETI coolers are built with durability and integrity, they, unfortunately, do not come with this type of warranty.
However, it should be highly noted that YETI includes a five-year warranty that covers all the components of the cooler, whereas Grizzly only covers a few components.
What are the similarities between these two coolers?
The Grizzly 40 (link) and YETI Tundra 45 (link) look very similar and in fact have similar features including:
- Size – When you take a look at both coolers, you’re quickly going to realize that they’re almost identical to one another. The dimensions are pretty much the same, but they might be minutely different. This means that both coolers are going to consume roughly the same amount of space. If one is going to fit into the back of your vehicle, you can pretty much guarantee that the other one will too.
- Non-Slip Feet – This feature helps protect the bottom of the coolers from scratches and scuffs. It also keeps the coolers in place, even when they are sitting on a slippery surface.
- Drainage Opening on the side bottom – This feature allows for quick draining of water and easier cleanup. Instead of tilting the coolers over on their side, you simply pop often the drainage spot to release the water.
- Bear-Proof Design – This basically means that bears cannot access the food inside the coolers. So, if a bear does happen to get access to your cooler, regardless of which model you own, they will not score any food.
- Heavy-Duty Lid Latches –he YETI 45 T-Rex lid latch and the Grizzly BearClaw lid latch work in a similar manner. The only difference between the two is their design.
- Rotomolded Construction – This ensures durability and longevity. This construction is not only very durable but also lightweight.
- The Handles – To ensure that you’re going to be able to carry your luggage without too much difficulty. This is why you need to get a cooler with great handles. The good news is that there isn’t much of a difference here. Both coolers come with handles that are pretty similar.
- Dry Goods Basket – A lot of people prefer YETI coolers because they come with a very cool dry goods basket. Many of the alternatives do not. This is one of the best things about the Grizzly. Unlike many of the competitors, the Grizzly actually comes with this feature too! Therefore, you do not have to feel obligated to spend more for the YETI to get the dry goods basket. You’ll still get one with the much cheaper Grizzly.
…and what are the main differences?
Although these two coolers have a lot in common, there are a few details that make each one stand out.
- Price – generally the YETI Tundra 45 is around $50 cheaper than the Grizzly 40.
- Color Options – It is true that the color of the cooler isn’t that big of a deal. Nevertheless, there are some very picky campers out there and they’ll want to ensure that everything is perfect. That includes the color of their cooler. If you fit into this category, you’ll definitely want to know that the Grizzly actually offers more colors. The YETI Tundra 45 is available in at least five colors and possibly more. The Grizzly 40 Quart Cooler is available in many more colors. At the same time, the Grizzly colors are much brighter and more vivid. Again, this isn’t too big of a deal, but it is definitely something that some will want to consider.
- Capacity – It is also important to consider the capacity of both coolers. Which one is going to hold much more food and ice? The truth of the matter is that these two coolers are pretty similar in this category. The YETI Tundra 45 Cooler can hold up to 35 pounds of ice. With an ice to content ratio of 2 to 1, the YETI can hold at least 26 cans. The Grizzly 40 Quart Cooler is capable of holding 56 12-ounce cans. There isn’t too much of a difference here.
- Weight – Most consumers do not want a very heavy cooler. They do not want to break their back when attempting to pick it up. If you happen to fit into this category, you’ll definitely want to check out the weights of both coolers. The YETI Tundra 45 weighs 22 pounds when it is completely empty. The Grizzly weighs 24 pounds. There isn’t much of a difference, but it is still something that should not be ignored. If you want a slightly lighter cooler, you’ll definitely want to stick with the YETI.
- Embossed Ruler – The Grizzly has one unique feature that isn’t available with the YETI. It comes with an embossed ruler. A lot of people may not ever use it. Others will find that it is one of the best features they’ve ever found. If you’re going to need a tape measure or ruler out there in the woods, you should kill two birds with one stone by investing in the Grizzly cooler.
So, which one is best?
At the end of the day, it is really difficult to say which cooler is the best. They’re both great in many categories. This is great, but many people will not use it anyway. They hold pretty much the same amount of goods.
The biggest difference is the price. If you want the added peace of mind and do not mind spending more, getting the YETI Tundra 45 is probably best. Otherwise, you shouldn’t feel obligated to buy the Grizzly 40 Quart. You probably won’t be disappointed either way.
We have produced a number of articles compared the leading cooler brands. These are: